DHEA is a dietary supplement that contains a natural steroid hormone which can influence the synthesis of progesterone and also provide hormonal support and foster normal adrenal function, called DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). The DHEA hormone included in the formula is micronized DHEA of the highest purity and is produced under stringent GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards.
How DHEA Works
The product’s primary ingredient, DHEA natural steroid hormone, is synthesized by the adrenal glands and is the parent precursor of vital steroid hormones. At the same time, it is an antagonist for glucocorticosteroid hormones, which play a critical role in (1) controlling how the body’s cells use fat and sugar and (2) fighting inflammation caused by infection or injury. Although DHEA is not a precursor of progesterone, it can influence its synthesis via a feedback mechanism. This means that it enables the body to convert pregnenolone, which is used to synthesize DHEA from cholesterol to progesterone.
The Key Role of DHEA
DHEA has critical biological functions, besides everything else already mentioned. According to recent studies, DHEA is found to be involved in a wide range of processes, such as the metabolism of energy and blood lipid, the regulation of insulin levels, the immune function, and the maintenance of lean muscle mass, among others.
DHEA also exists in another form in the human body, DHEA-Sulfated or DHEA-S, which is the steroid hormone with the most abundant circulation in the body. Both forms are secreted by the adrenal cortex during periods of stress and are related to the following:
- Aging – Studies have shown that nursing home seniors who could care for themselves had higher DHEA-S levels, compared to their counterparts that required total care.
- Heart conditions – Men with stenosis of the coronary artery (blockage) are found to have lower DHEA-S levels.
- Well-being – Sufficient DHEA is tied to psychological and physical well-being, along with depression and mood swings.
- Chronic conditions – Although the link between DHEA and aging is not yet determined, it has been postulated that DHEA and seniors’ cognitive function, as well as other age-related chronic conditions, are somehow connected.
Research has also demonstrated a relationship between DHEA, DHEA-S and vaginal atrophy, hot flashes, and fat accumulation in menopausal women, alongside the incidence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the modulation of immune markers (i.e., T cells), bone density, muscle strength, the reduction of body fat, the remission in patients with inflammatory bowel disease, and the improvement of oocyte yield in women with poor ovarian reserve or who respond poorly to IVF. Another important role of DHEA in the body is its role in the production of testosterone and estrogen – when it falls, it can result in premature infertility and accelerated aging.
It should be noted that both DHEA and its metabolite, DHEA-S, are low in early childhood and gradually increase after the seventh year of our life. They reach their zenith at around our early to mid-20s and then start to deplete by 20% every 10 years. At about the mid-80s, they are nearly 10% of the levels they used to be at their peak. Nevertheless, trauma, infections (chronic or acute), and other stressors can also affect the DHEA levels negatively. Finally, DHEA levels are usually low at people following a vegetarian lifestyle.
The formula contains pure DHEA hormone (5mg) and cellulose.
- The recommended serving size is one to two capsules every day unless your physician instructs otherwise.
- The product is a dietary supplement and is not intended to diagnose, cure, prevent or treat any disease.
- Individuals below 18 years of age should not take DHEA.
- Always consult your healthcare professional before taking any dietary supplement, DHEA included, especially if you are taking medications. DHEA should NOT be used by pregnant or nursing women.
- Exceeding the recommended dosage may result in serious health conditions, such as increased estrogen levels, irritability, aggressiveness, facial hair growth (in women), hair loss, acne, and changes in the function of the liver.
- Discontinue immediately and contact your healthcare practitioner or a qualified and licensed physician if you experience any adverse symptoms, such as blurred vision, dizziness or rapid heartbeat.
- Certain sports organizations have classified DHEA as a forbidden substance. If you are an athlete, revise the regulations of your organization to determine whether its use is prohibited or not.
- Keep away from the reach of children.
About the Manufacturer
Douglas Labs is a world-renowned manufacturer of supreme quality, science-based dietary and nutritional supplements that are produced at their state-of-the-art, GMP-certified facilities. Established in 1955, they provide healthcare professionals and individuals alike with a product line that includes everything from synergistic combinations of nutrients, herbs, and vitamins to the most basic and vital formulas for optimal health. At Douglas Labs, one can find both NSF Certified for Sports and Certified Organic products which offer immunity support, potent antioxidant properties, cardiovascular health, balanced intestinal microbiota, male vitality, and other health benefits.
Among their top rated formulas for hormonal balance and sports nutrition, nutrient-providing Liquid Cal/Mag/D, immune-supporting Colostum, maternal function-promoting Prenatal, and andropause-supporting TestoGain.